“At the still point, there the dance is.”—T.S. Eliot
The still life has been a popular art form for centuries, and this course will deepen your understanding of why. Join Helen Byers this week to be inspired by objects found only in the Ghost Ranch museums of anthropology and paleontology: Native American artifacts, Rio Grande Hispanic folk art, sun-bleached bones, and more. How will they speak to you? Instruction in drawing media, including charcoal and Conte crayon on toned paper, will emphasize technique and composition. Instructional demos, personalized attention, and constructive group critiques. A list of recommended supplies will be sent to participants. All levels welcome.
Still Life with Gallina Pots © Helen Byers 2017
|All Inclusive, Double Occupancy: Private Bath||$1,540.00|
|All Inclusive, Double Occupancy: Shared Bath||$1,465.00|
|All Inclusive, Double Occupancy: Communal Bath||$1,195.00|
Helen Byers is an award-winning artist and educator who was born in Brazil and grew up in Mexico and the California Bay Area. She earned graduate degrees in English at UC Santa Barbara and later
Click here to download materials list – Byers – Still Life Drawing Supplies List
Still Life Drawing in the Museums Instructor: Helen Byers
October 6-12, 2019
Ghost Ranch, New Mexico
Art Supplies List
• Drawing support (such as Blick Sketch Board, Dick Blick item #22945-1002, OR piece of thick foam core cut to 20″ x 25”)
• 19” x 25” Canson Mi-Teintes drawing paper: 5–8 sheets in neutral tints, such as gray, sand, and cream, OR same size Canson Mi-Teintes Assorted Colors pack in muted colors (pkg of 10, Blick item #10722-1050)
• 12″ x 18″ or larger charcoal paper pad (white), (any brand, such as Dick Blick item #10803-1007 or #10803-1009)
• Conté Sketching Pencils: 6-pencil set (Dick Blick item #20425-0069)
• 1 large kneaded eraser (Dick Blick item # 21026-1030)
• utility knife or pencil sharpener
Instructor will provide
• vine charcoal
• blending “stumps”
• workable spray fixative
• Glassine™ paper (for sale by the sheet, for interleaving with drawings [to prevent smudging] if you choose not to use fixative)
• Additional items if you are traveling long-distance and don’t have time to obtain them before the course begins. (Be sure to email Helen ASAP in advance: email@example.com)
Art Supply Sources
Dick Blick is an excellent online source for high-quality art supplies at substantial savings (often 40% or more). Allow 10 days or so for an order to reach you: dickblick.com, (800) 828-4548
Artisan Santa Fe (a well-known art supply store) is located at 2601 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe. Hours: Mon-Sat 9-6, Sun 12-5. (505) 954-4179.
that our workshop price structure packages your tuition, course materials, lodging and meals together in a single rate. Prices are presented for each of the types of lodging available for the workshop you select. Some art workshops will have an additional list of course materials and supplies that can be purchased or you will be asked to bring with you.
- Note: Some courses (especially studio courses and plein air painting courses) can carry an additional material list or expense.
All rates are Per Person, Double Occupancy
unless otherwise specified. Single Occupancy:
Single occupancy rooms may be reserved for an additional $50 per night when space is available. The fee will be charged when space is confirmed. Single occupancy lodging is generally not available during June and July. If you are a single person and do not specify a roommate, a roommate of the same gender will be assigned to share your lodging space or you can request the single occupancy and be charged the supplement of an additional $50 per night (based on availability).
For more information or if you would like to attend this workshop, but do not need lodging, please call the Registrar's Office at 505.685.1001
ext 4155 or toll-free at 877.804.4678
— available Sunday
, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. MST.
Three ways to register:
- Download printable registration form and mail to: Ghost Ranch Registrar, 280 Private Drive 1708, Abiquiu, NM 87510. OR scan and email your completed form to: registrar@GhostRanch.org
- Register by telephone at 505.685.1001 or 505.685.1017 or toll-free at 877.804.4678, ext. 4155 or ext. 4121 — available Monday-Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. MST.