Photography & Filming
Ghost Ranch Education & Retreat Center inspires the creative spirit like few places can. The land and landscape has influenced all life at Ghost Ranch and is instrumental to our mission. Artists and photographers of varying skill levels flock here for inspiration to fuel their creative passion. For visual artists who practice for personal creative fulfillment, we honor your pursuit and understand your passion. Creativity is one of our core values. Indeed we are perpetuators of these endeavors and invite you to immerse yourself here through our programs. On the other side of the artist spectrum, Ghost Ranch is a well-known site for the film industry with over 100 movies having been filmed here. We welcome these pursuits as well and pride ourselves in hosting large-scale productions professionally. Somewhere in the middle of the personal fulfillment artist and feature film producer is a vast array of artists and photographers working at a semi-professional and professional level that we would like to embrace. To do so, we’ve designed an approach for artists and photographers to access Ghost Ranch without fear of infringement. This approach is centered upon developing a reciprocal relationship based on our respect for the creative endeavor undertaken by working artists as well as the obligation of Ghost Ranch to remain sustainable in every sense of the word–sustainable financially, environmentally and sustainable as people living in healthy community, growing and learning. It is our responsibility to our donors, guests, community, volunteers and staff to be wise stewards of our resources and assets. In this spirit we ask that you review our policy and help us foster a mutually beneficial creative relationship. Click here to download our complete Photography, Filming and Drone guidelines in PDF format. Below please find an outline of the policy that best describes your art, photography and film objective:
Guest & Personal Use
- They are used exclusively for personal non-commercial purposes
- The taking of such photos is consistent with our policy
- They do not interfere with the ongoing operations of the Ranch
- The do not infringe on the privacy of fellow guests
Please be sure to adhere to the following guidelines:
• The photos are used exclusively for personal non-commercial purposes • The taking of such photos is consistent with our policy • They do not interfere with the ongoing operations of the Ranch • The do not infringe on the privacy of fellow guests
Please note, the use of photographs created during social media events are limited to posting on the social media platform. Any additional uses outside of the event require advance written notice and the agreement of Ghost Ranch. Ghost Ranch adheres to the policies outlined by the specific social media platform.
Special Event & Portrait Photography
Commercial Filming & Photography
- Advertising Campaigns
- Magazine Editorials
- Music Videos
- Television Shows and Series
- All films (independent, feature, documentary, educational)
- Stock Photography
- Educational Projects
Photography & Art Workshops Media Professionals (news related & stories/press about Ghost Ranch) Social Media Wedding, Portrait or Landscape Photography Commercial photography and filming at Ghost Ranch is defined as images or footage created of and at the Ranch that any photographer, filmmaker, or artist intends to use for commercial, professional, advertising, or promotional purposes, including but not limited to film or television, advertising, retail merchandising, stock photography, marketing, portfolio, educational, or published material, or any purpose for which the photographer/filmmaker is paid for the use of the image or footage. Ghost Ranch reserves all rights for photographic reproductions and film of Ghost Ranch Property. Ghost Ranch reserves the right to license vendors, collect royalties, and initiate fees or otherwise control use of Ghost Ranch as deemed appropriate and lawful is the sole discretion of Ghost Ranch.
Use of Ghost Ranch trademarks and logos, or images in connection with any photograph or film is prohibited without written permission by Ghost Ranch. Indoor shooting at Ghost Ranch is prohibited without permission as described above. Interior filming and/or photography at Ghost Ranch requires specific permission based upon availability. ALL professional filmmakers, photographers and producers are expected to carry appropriate insurance for approved projects. The use of drones for filming or photography is prohibited without prior approval and proof of FAA certification. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Ghost Ranch also reserves the right to prohibit any filming or photography on its lands for any reason, including if the filming or photography creates the potential for:
- Disruption of business, guest or spiritual activities
- Damage to or alteration of Ghost Ranch property
- Inappropriate use of the Ghost Ranch name or image
- Disruption of traffic, parking or pedestrian pathways
- Other safety hazards
- Violations of Ghost Ranch’s privacy policies
Ghost Ranch is represented by a production manager to coordinate, oversee and manage ALL production and these types of projects. Availability, scheduling, scouting, location fees, filming requirements and additional information must be coordinated through the Ghost Ranch Production Manager and Office.
Still Photography & Film
- All requests for permission to film/shoot on Ghost Ranch property will be referred to the Ghost Ranch Production Manager who will review the project with the Ghost Ranch Executive Director for final approval. A script, storyboards, treatment, outline/overview and written proposal must be provided for review. Style and message of project must be consistent with National Ghost Ranch Foundation Inc standards.
- The production shall provide a written request for any type of fire or special FX, including the use of a helicopter or any drone usage over Ghost Ranch airspace prior to photography/filming. Special permission will be granted per the discretion of the Ghost Ranch Production Manager per the Executive Director.NOTE: ALL drone inquiries are required to provide FAA pilot certification prior to filming.
- Regarding filming (feature), still photography is included within the location agreement. Regarding filming (commercial), still photo shoots conducted during filming are not included in the location agreement and will require a separate agreement/fee.
David Manzanares Ghost Ranch Production Manager 505.470.2495 firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo & Art Workshops & Clubs
Media & Press Contacts
Submitting Photos to Ghost Ranch
Consider entering your photos in the Ghost Ranch Calendar Photo Contest.