Museum of Anthropology
Florence Hawley Ellis Museum of Anthropology
Among the many feisty women who have called Ghost Ranch their home is Florence Hawley Ellis, one of the first women to receive a PhD in anthropology (from the University of Chicago, in 1934). In her definitive history book called Ghost Ranch (available for purchase at the Trading Post), Lesley Poling-Kempes describes Ellis and her students’ discovery of an archaeological site north of the Ranch that rocked the world of anthropology in 1971. Poling-Kempes writes, “Dr. Ellis assured everyone that what had just happened – the finding of so many entire ceramic pots hidden in a lava field – never happens. It was a remarkable site to have stumbled upon.”
The museum is named for the late Dr. Florence Hawley Ellis, long-time professor of anthropology at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque and original curator of this museum. Dr. Ellis initiated and led Ghost Ranch archaeology seminar from 1971 until 1990.
The Museum of Anthropology at Ghost Ranch displays ancient artifacts from Paleo Indian cultures, 10,000 years ago, through ancestral Puebloan times to present time pottery and weavings from local Pueblos. The museum houses the largest collection of Gallina artifacts in the world.
Special Exhibit, Ladies of the Canyons is an exhibit based on Lesley Poling-Kempes’ book of the same name that tells the true stories of remarkable women from the East Coast, among them Ghost Ranch founder Carol Bishop Stanley.
Gallery 1, displays modern versions of Native American and Spanish Colonial art, including Navajo, Ute, Apache, Tewa Pueblo, and Santos and Retablos.
Gallery 2, exhibits artifacts excavated from Sapawe Pueblo, excavated by Dr.Ellis in the 1960s. This gallery also includes displays of Gallina culture found by participants of the Archeological seminar, which is held annually.
Gallery 3, displays artifacts found on Ghost Ranch property from three different sites, as well as evidence of Paleoindian occupation, finishing off with displays of how “to make a pot and how to break a rock.”
Hours of Operation
Monday through Saturday 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Sunday: 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
There is a $5.00 conservation fee payable at the Welcome Center that allows guest access to hiking trails, labyrinth, Museums, bathroom facilities and campus grounds.
Please call to verify – 505.685.1000 ext. 4118. Ghost Ranch is located on US Highway 84, 14 miles north of Abiquiu.
Special programs available for school groups. See school outreach tab above for details.
Public tours available.