Since the Ranch became the property of the Presbyterian Church in 1955, Ghost Ranch has had a library. This “special library”, which is open 24 hours a day, is a quiet, comfortable center for reading and study, located in an old adobe building just across from the Dining Hall. The historic building was once home to the Robert Wood Johnson family (Johnson & Johnson), built for their stays at Ghost Ranch.
The Library now has over 12,000 volumes, organized by the Library of Congress cataloging system. You can view the Ghost Ranch library collection online via Follett Destiny Library Manager.
Collections focus on program areas of the Ranch, but there is also a large leisure reading collection of American, English, Spanish and other European literature. Other notable subject areas in the collection include:
- Southwest research collection.
- Religion, which includes many current books published by Westminster/John Knox Press and an extensive spirituality collection.
- Art, especially books on watercolor technique.
- Current local newspapers, plus a representative collection of popular magazines in religion and current affairs.
The Library welcomes book donations.
DVD and VHS collection of movies filmed at Ghost Ranch as well as a selection of current movies and documentaries are available for viewing in the library.
Wireless Internet and Online Access to the Collection:
Depending on weather conditions, wireless internet is usually available in and around the Library for those who bring their own laptop/notebook computers. Please note, the Ghost Ranch Library does not loan material through Interlibrary Loan.