Download the PDF Welcome Letter Healing Sacred Wheel Cheryl Downey 2019
Healing Grief Around the Sacred Wheel
Workshop ID: G191112
Start date: Sunday, Nov. 3, 2019 (check-in after 3 p.m.)
End date: Friday, Nov. 8, 2019 (check-out by 10 a.m.)
Welcome to “Healing Grief Around the Sacred Wheel” – a course for empowering those finding it difficult to move forward in life due to past or present pain of grief and loss. My name is and I am your leader, guide and companion through this week of safe, gentle yet potentially deep and powerful grief-healing meditations and experiences.
I have supported those who are grieving life changes from illness, dying, and death to loss of home, family, career or community for over 35 years as a hospital, hospice and palliative care chaplain. Since 1985 I have also trained, practiced, and mentored spiritual healing and sacred arts from within shamanic teachings that are rooted in the ancient power of Woman and the Earth. After retiring from hospice work, I founded Sacred Wheel Center for Grief and Healing to empower those suffering with past or present loss to find healing and release through exploring the deeper life-giving mysteries of their grief and within their hearts. Since 2014 my work has included private sessions, classes and workshops in the Twin Cities (MN) area, and grief-healing retreats in Florida, Minnesota, Colorado and at Ghost Ranch.
I have been attending training events and painting workshops at Ghost Ranch since 2003 – sometimes staying twice a year! I fell in love with the warmth of the ranch staff and the light, colors and power of the land and sky!! To this day there is nowhere I would rather come to reconnect with my inner self, and with the power of the Earth, to let go, heal and regenerate my spirit – alone or with others. Spirit speaks in all ways at Ghost Ranch – it is the perfect place to heal the pain of grief!
This course is entitled “Healing Grief Around the Sacred Wheel” for many reasons. The Sacred Wheel and the powers of the four directions are ancient and profound tools for deepening self-awareness and bringing healing balance to the flow of life energies. Movement around the Wheel honors each one’s uniqueness of culture, personality, and faith perspective; and is a powerful non-judgmental guide for exploring and understanding one’s personal energies of grief – whether old or young, experiencing current or past loss, or anticipating future life transitions. The Wheel is meant to move – and so is grief! – and both will do so at the pace that is right for each of us. There is no right or wrong way to do this, as there is no right or wrong way to grieve.
The course will bring participants into the four major healing aspects of their own grief experience by spending a day in each direction: South (Physical/Earth); West (Emotional/Dreaming/
Water); North (Spirit/Air/Wind); East (Mind/Fire) ending in the Center (Heart). Group teachings, reflections and guided visualizations will fill the mornings 9:00 – noon, followed by personal free time/ work on the land after lunch until dinner (5:30 – 6:30). We will do our West work by traveling to Abiquiu Lake and the Rio Chama for a morning field trip with the additional possibility of going to the Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs for the afternoon (there is a $25 individual day use fee for each participant to enter the hot springs).
Participants will gather for evening sessions from 7-8:30 pm for circle-sharing and artwork. Throughout the week participants will be creating their personal sacred art ongoing, including a small pouch to be decorated in a sacred way to hold symbols of release gathered from the work. The pouches with their sacred contents will be given away to the Sacred Fire and transformed the last evening. Additionally, each participant will create their own “Grief-Healing Wisdom Cards” from illuminating insights and healing revelations received along the way which they can take home.
Participants will be blessed with the opportunity to participate in the Ranch’s “Alternative Thanksgiving: Heartbeat of Gratitude” opening activities that Friday evening as well as in the Saturday dances and other scheduled weekend events. (If anyone wants to stay Saturday into Sunday, they will need to register for the Heartbeat of Gratitude separately.)
There is no pre-requisite knowledge or preparation for this work. Participants may be any age (18+) having experienced any loss(es) – including loss of a loved one through death or illness, loss of relationship through break-up or divorce, home, job, career, health, community – and need only to be willing to start the journey around the Sacred Wheel!
What participants may gain from this course:
– The discovery of the four directional aspects around the Sacred Wheel and the grief energies held within each of them
– An understanding that grief is not something to be cured but simply accepted and allowed as healing movement
– An awakening to energy we get from the earth to help us feel and heal the ways we hold grief in our bodies
– An experience of the power of water for grief movement and release
– Empowerment of personal spirit connections and healing wisdom through inner conversation, ceremony, listening to the wind, prayer, dreams, meditation and journaling
– Discovery of ways to shift negative and constricting thoughts about grief
– The power of sacred art for healing and wisdom-keeping
– The blessings of love and gratitude!
What to bring:
– comfortable clothing for layering and warm socks for both indoor and outdoor work
– comfortable hiking or walking shoes – covered toes
– umbrella/rain gear/warm jacket/light gloves for walking in potentially cool or inclement weather
– sunglasses, hat, sunscreen, insect repellant, small carrying pack, refillable water container for being out on the land
– blanket, mat or cushion for meditating, indoors and outdoors
– notebook, journal, pens
– several sharpie fine-point markers – various inspiring colors
– inexpensive watercolors (check children’s aisles in stores)
– pad of 12 X 16 watercolor paper (at least 10 sheets)
– 1 1-inch wide paintbrush
– large garbage bag for space protection and place to dry paintings and protect them on journey home
– object of personal remembrance or memento for the group altar, such as photo, jewelry, handkerchief, coin, etc – to return home with you
– a personal sacred symbol/inspirational object for the group altar, such as a special stone or crystal, feather, fetish, bowl etc – will return home with you
– sleeping bag for extra warmth, if staying in the dorms (optional)
Course will supply:
– blank wisdom cards
– fabric paint and other decorative supplies
– glue and glue guns
If you have questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 612-272-3977. Or go to ghostranch.org for more details.
I honor you for having the courage to follow your heart to this healing time together! I am excited to meet you!
From my heart to yours ~ Cheryl
Cheryl L. Downey, MDiv, UCC/SHES
Shamanic Grief Practitioner/Minister of Sacred Arts
Sacred Wheel Center for Grief & Healing/
Sacred Wheel Center, Inc. (2016)
605 E. 153rd Street
Burnsville, MN. 55306